ANTTARC has implemented the “Contributing towards a culture that promote tolerance & diversity and inclusion as a way of life” project (Funded by the American Embassy in Albania; October 2020 – May 2021). It main goal was “to enhance social resilience towards Violent Extremism at the local level in Diber region”, which was achieved through the following objectives:
- Enhance the understanding of state and social actors about the risk violent extremism in their respective municipalities;
- Develop the capacity of state and social actors to prevent and address violent extremism in their municipalities;
- Increase capacities of young people, fostering a better understanding of extremism process in general and specific context within high school communities.
- Encourage, empower and support the development of a multi-partner approach in between the Local Councils of Public Safety and youth / local communities through implementation of concrete actions for preventing extremism and foster social inclusion.
The project was organized in two main components.
Component 1: Working with key local actors within the structure of the Local Councils of Public Safety to build up their capacities and understanding of extremism process in general and specific context within Diber region communities; Developing their critical thinking, promoting cooperation in between state and non-state local actors and strengthening their coordinated reaction towards the causes of extremism.
Component 2: Based on needs and interest of youth, developing a multi-partner approach and building youths’ capacities focusing on civic education, public security, participation, diversity, tolerance, social inclusion and democracy values contributing in prevention of extremism.
Under Component 1:
- 30 members of Local Councils of Public Safety in municipalities of Mat and Klos have a sound understanding of the risks of violent extremism in their municipalities. They are equipped with knowledge and skills needed to act to prevent and address violent extremism and are perceived as state and social leaders in their municipalities regarding efforts to prevent violent extremism.
- 2 Local Councils of Public Safety have grown into functioning mechanisms for preventing and addressing violent extremism in their municipalities, cooperating closely with relevant state and social actors at the national level on matters of countering violent extremism.
- Local Councils of Public Safety of Mat and Klos have prepared two-year Local Actions Plans.
- 2 Local Councils of Public Safety have undertaken 4 community-based activities that contribute to prevent and address violent extremism in their respective municipality.
Under Component 2:
- 25 youth are trained and their capacities are built regarding understanding the dimensions, causes and negative consequences of violent extremism. They act as multipliers for other youths.
- Two high schools in Burrel and Klos network and partner for common actions to prevent violent extremism.
- 4 concrete actions are implemented by youths, in cooperation with Local Councils of Public Safety in municipalities of Mat and Klos.
- The youth group is recognized by the mayors of the municipalities of Mat and Klos.